Monday, March 06, 2006

Indian Fiction

Because Newsweek just had an interesting article on India and because I enjoy Indian movies and fiction I just wanted to point out some recent fiction books by Indian-Americans that are being made into movies.

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
I'm sure many of you are well aware of this Pulitzer award winning author, but you may not have been aware that a movie based on this book will be released later this year.




How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life by Kaavya Viswanathan
Written by a Harvard sophomore with a huge first printing, this is in development with Dreamworks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Namesake was wonderful to listen to!! Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is a popular author at EGR (book clubs, I believe). And I've always loved the covers of Mango Season (Malladi) and The Sari Shop (Bajwa). Perhaps there's an Indian-themed display in my future! Movies like Bend it Like Bekham, Bride and Prejudice and Monsoon Wedding have beautiful footage of Indian traditions.

MichelleB @ EGR

Melissa said...

Michelle-

Since you already did my Da Vinci Code readalike update, I was actually thinking about doing a bookmark on Indian fiction. If you hold off on the display for a few months, you can use my bookmark...