Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rockin' Fiction

Grab On To Me Tightly As If I Knew the Way by Bryan Charles
A first novel from a native Michigander with a title taken from a Pavement song. He'll be appearing at the Kalamazoo Public Library next month.

In 1992 Kalamazoo, Michigan, teenager Vim Sweeney confronts the rapid approach of adulthood as he deals with the end of high school and his uncertain future, the repercussions of the first Gulf War, a long-absent biological father, Kurt Cobain, and local hero Derek Jeter, whom he is convinced is on a fast track to obscurity.

3 comments:

Kip said...

I want to read this so bad. How cool that it takes place in The Zoo!

Jackie Parker said...

Zoo? Well, I was just marveling at the similarity btw the character's name and your pseudonymn, Kip. I love the title, but know nothing of Pavement. Am I uncool, or what?

Melissa said...

Yeah, I still own Pavement CDs, so between the locale, the title, and mention of Kurt I have to read it. Jac, you're sooo uncool! J/K :) Hey, have fun with Sarah this weekend!