Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Model Student

I will never look at the cover of a fashion magazine in the same way after reading Robin Hazelwood's semi-autobiographical debut novel Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls. It's the mid-eighties and Wisconson native, Emily Woods, is pursuing her modeling career while trying not to flunk out of Columbia University--because jetting around the world for photo shoots doesn't leave much time for studying. There's a happy ending, but the book definitely shows the seedy side of the modeling business. I was completely sucked into the story, though. Even more entertaining is the slide show of bad eighties fashion on Hazelwood's website:

http://www.robinhazelwoodbooks.com/index.html

Hear her interview with Diane Rehm:

http://www.wamu.org/programs/dr/06/08/15.php#10661

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping to be able to finish this on my mini-vacation, that's for sure. I really enjoyed listening to her interview with Diane Rehm -- she's got some great insight into what the modeling industry is really like.

Melissa said...

Let me know what you think of it...