Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Austenland

I want a Pembrook Park with Colin Firth...

Austenland by Shannon Hale
Booklist Reviews 2007 March #2
Suppose you're a huge fan of Jane Austen, and in particular Pride and Prejudice and in particular Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy in the BBC adaptation, and nothing in real life quite measures up. And suppose your great-aunt's legacy to you is a three-week vacation at an Austen-themed resort. This is the situation in which Jane Hayes, New York graphic artist, finds herself. Pembrook Park is a kind of Austen Fantasy Island where the female guests are required to dress, speak, eat, and in every way conduct themselves like heroines in Austen's novels, with actors filling out the roles of eligible suitors. Jane, called Miss Erstwhile for the duration of her stay, tries to get used to corsets and other Regency amusements while sorting out whether the attentions of a Darcyesque Mr. Nobley, not to mention a good-looking gardener, are sincere or part of the show. A clever confection for fans of contemporary Austen knockoffs.

5 comments:

Jackie Parker said...

I hear it's pretty darn good. On of these days I really should sit down and read P&P. But can it live up to the hype??

Melissa said...

Please tell me you are not serious about not having ever read P&P. Please.

Beth said...

And, suppose you are a huge fan of Shannon Hale, whose 2 Juv books are FANTASTIC (The Goose Girl and The Princess Academy). I will definitely try this one!

Anonymous said...

It sounds kind of creepy. I just can't imagine doing this even though I did the whole Juliet Lowe thing in Georgia when I was in Girl Scouts.

But as Beth says, it is Shannon Hale. I am taking Princess Academy on vacation with me!

MichelleB @ EGR

Jackie Parker said...

I AM serious about not having read P&P. But I did read AUSTENLAND this past week and LOVED it. So sweet. Yet another little step toward reading the classic. I'm totally looking forward to Becoming Jane. That'll be another step.

So, someday!